Thursday, April 26, 2007

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies (South Beach Diet)

Today I did pretty well at sticking to my diet. I don't know which diet I'm doing this time. It's a combination of South Beach and Atkins, so I eat a lot of protein and salad. It was getting old today and I was craving a baked dessert. I flipped through my South Beach cookbook and found this recipe which I had never tried before tonight. They were so good that even Nicholas ate them (and kept asking for more!) So, here's the recipe for anyone who would like to try it--I would double it to have them on hand for unexpected cravings:

3/4 cup granular sugar substitute (Splenda)
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar-free jam, any flavor

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
Mix Splenda, egg, and vanilla together with an electric mixer on low for 3 minutes. Add peanut butter and baking soda. Mix on medium until dough comes together, about 30 seconds.
Form dough into 24 (2-teaspoon) balls and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Gently press your thumb into the center of each to make an indentation. Fill each indentation with 1/2 tsp. jam.
Bake until lightly browned on the bottom, 12-14 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Makes 24 cookies. Yummy! You will forget you're even on a diet!

Nutrition Facts:
Per cookie: 70 calories, 5.5 grams fat, 1.25 grams sat. fat, 3 grams protein, 3.5 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram dietary fiber, 105 mg sodium

3 comments:

Kelly Bakes said...

I'm impressed by the nutrition facts...I actually was looking for them!
I hope I get time to post on these but we'll see. I already have to clear through 80 emails a day, and that's gone up now that I'm in the Relief Society presidency. Aaah, remember the good old days when we knew the true meaning of "nothing to do!"

Janie said...

Look at you healthy woman! Aren't cookies suppose to be fattening?
Is there really no flour in these cookies?
I will be trying these out soon :)

An said...

I need to choose a diet and follow it. I can't decide between "you, on a diet", south beach, and the evil super-low-carb diet I had to follow when I was pregnant with Es. Mostly I need to eat less carbs, I know, and less calories, and exercise more. Who would've thought?