Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Love to Sleep!

I have always been a deep sleeper. Once I'm out, it's pretty difficult to wake me up. I've been known to sleep through entire nights of thunder and lightning and wake up fully refreshed. I think I'm just genetically that way. I've been told I was a month overdue coming into this world. Why be in a rush to leave a nice cozy cocoon and pop out into the bright lights of this crazy world? My dad even described me as a baby with "a very sleepy temperament." Even in my first photo at the hospital you will see that I can barely open my eyes for my close-up. That's why I have small eyes. I didn't practice opening them much as a baby.

High school was hard for me because it started even earlier than elementary and middle school. Since I lived the farthest away from the bus stop, it was my job to stop at each of my three friends' homes on my way down the hill. They would always greet me with a smile and an abnormally perky "Good morning, Sunshine!" Sunshine was my nickname because they knew I hated early mornings so much. Very funny. There's nothing worse than peppy, happy people first thing in the morning. Go back to bed and come back when you're sufficiently grumpy.

Getting up early seems to be an unspoken competition between people. When anyone asks what time I get up in the morning, I always reply with a time that is one to two hours earlier than the actual time I get up because there seems to be horrible shame in admitting that you don't get up at 4:00am. Even if I did say that I got up at 4:00am, the other person inevitably says something like, "Oh. You don't roll out of bed until 4:00am? We'll I'm up and ready to go at THREE!" I haven't met another person on this planet that gets up one minute later than I do, even when I'm lying. I have observed that one is held in higher regard if one is an early riser. If you are a later riser (even if you get up at 7:30am), you are lazy. That's just how it is, so get used to it. If I mention that I sleep a little later because I don't get to bed until one or two in the morning, it either falls on deaf ears (the other party is already disgusted with my grotesquely late wake-up time), or they can't fathom going to bed that late. Another note to self: people who go to bed that late are just plain irresponsible.

Recently, my father-in-law said that "the older you get, the less sleep you need." The reverse of that seems to be true for me. So I'm thinking that by the time I'm eighty, I'll need about 20 hours of sleep a night. For me, early risers are a true phenomenon. I don't understand how they do it. Just like marathon runners. How do they do it? It shouldn't be physically possible. So if you are an early riser and you can run 26 point something miles all in one go, you are a freak of nature.

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. I know many people who do just that and are usually missing at least one of the healthies, wealthies or wises (usually the wealthies and surprisingly often, the wises, too.) I think most people probably forget about the "early to bed" part in that case. For me, I'm happy to say that my name is Becky and I'm a sleep-aholic.

4 comments:

The Lingwalls said...

Yeah, you have always been addicted to sleep. When we were little, I used to wait for you to wake up and come watch cartoons. You would stagger in an hour or two later with your "duna", hair in major disarray, and so warm and sleepy. I would cozy up to you under the "duna" (because you were always freakishly warm!) and you would eventually fall back asleep. I still believe you're "good to go" around noonish.

Meg said...

I know how you feel. I love to sleep late also. I bet we would be at a head to head if we compaired waking hours.

An said...

Are you me? I swear you are.

dennis39 said...

I still have the picture taken in through the window of our van at the cliffs of Zions National Park, including a clear reflection in the van window of Becky asleep in the back of the van.