Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Month of May

Phew! I know I haven't posted in a really long time, but as you will see, I've been busy having fun. We had family visiting, Nick's birthday, a trip to Arizona, a high school graduation, a court of honor, Nick's baptism, more family visiting (and being visited), a trip to Lake Powell, a trip to the Grand Canyon, and a long journey home again. I had originally picked out 72 pictures for this entry, but Jere told me that was way too many, and to my chagrin, I was forced to whittle it down to a mere five. Once I figure out how to do a link to the other really cool photos, I'll add that, too. Here we go . . .


Aunt Bessie, visiting from Australia, and my sister Natalie, visiting from Pennsylvania. This was the first weekend in May. Got way too much shopping done as Bessie will testify to when she tries to get all her stuff home!


Nicholas turned eight! We had a little celebration for him in Michigan and then left the next day for Arizona where Grandma Freeman made him a really cool cake. He looks so dapper in the birthday hat! He still refuses to tell me what he wished for before blowing out his candles. You'd think little kids would spill the beans a bit more easily! Oh, well. This won't stop me from unwrapping and rewrapping presents under the Christmas tree--preparing the correct response is essential, you know.


Turning eight is usually followed by a baptism (at least amongst us Mormons). Grandpa Parker conducted the meeting, Uncle Matt gave the opening prayer, Grandma Parker and Grandma Freeman gave really nice, spirit-filled talks (or tear-jerkers as I like to call them) on baptism and the Holy Ghost, then a few comments from the first counselor and Grandpa Parker, and then a closing prayer by Grandpa Freeman. Auntie Melissa did a beautiful job of accompanying all the songs and Auntie Tianna did a stellar job of leading the music. It was a great day to be surrounded by so many family members! (I love Jere's short pants. They were even shorter in real life . . . hee! hee!)


Then we were off to Lake Powell for some serious attempts to look as brown as the locals. This included a day of jet-skiing and a day of boating. There was also a really nice pool that we usually had all to ourselves. The unfortunate part was me having to wear a bathing suit . . . maybe that's why the pool was so empty!

We had a blast with Natalie, Aaron, Braden, Sarah, Brandon, Tyler, Bessie (when she wasn't capsizing the jet-skis), Anne & Dennis.


The last day of our trip was an excursion to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I don't know how we survived the heart-attack-inducing driving that Jere so kindly provided, but Bessie, Anne and I found good use for all those nifty bar-handles that Honda installs in their Odysseys. The North Rim is just fantastic! However, it's amazing how many times death crosses your mind on those skinny little trails. Just one wrong step and say hello to the bottom of the canyon, which is about a million miles down. A highly recommended adrenaline rush!

What a great month! It was so incredibly wonderful to have family around and the kids really enjoyed all the cousins. It was hard to come back to Michigan, but it has quenched a little bit of our thirst to be near those who are related to us.

Well, today is my thirteenth (yes, I said thirteenth) wedding anniversary, so I really must go. Wow! I must be getting old . . . I have an eight-year-old and I've been married for 13 years. The next thing you know I'll be posting a blog about Ashlee leaving for college.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So I don't have my own pair of white pants (not since my Miami Vice days as a HS sophomore anyway), and I'm a couple inches taller than my dad. What do you expect!

Meg said...

While I enjoyed the karate blog, I was getting tired of looking at Nick's behind, so I'm glad you finally posted something new. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. You better have flown and not driven, cause if you drove and didn't come visit me on the way you are in BIG trouble. You better come visit me soon. Hope you have a great rest of your summer.

An said...

Great to see the pictures and read your narrative. Are the Parkers your parents? Did they drive down for the baptism and then stay and go to the Grand Canyon with you?

Janie said...

How fun! Glad your back to Michigan. What no pics of you in your bathing suit after commenting on wearing one! My next anniversary is 13!! We must both be old. Your Grand Canyon picture is amazing.

.............................. said...

I loved reading about your trip. I think Lake Powell is so fun, I am jealous. I love your pics. I want to see more!

Kami said...

Well, we have no kids and haven't yet celebrated our first wedding anniversary (I'm Andrea's sister-in-law, by the way). My mom feels weird and old now that she realizes her oldest kids is married and her youngest kid is baptized. Someday I'll be doing and feeling the same things you all seem to be doing right now. =p: