Saturday, January 26, 2008

Some REALLY Good Recipes

OK, so I haven't posted in a really long time and I actually shouldn't be taking the time to post right now either, but I have found some recipes that are so easy to make and taste good, too. I love to make dinner in my crockpot, basically because it doesn't require me to stick around, so here are the recipes from Recipezaar that I think you should try:

Crock Pot Chicken with Black Beans and Cream Cheese
4-5 frozen chicken breasts
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
1 (15 oz.) jar salsa, any kind
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese (or low-fat kind if you're trying to stick to your diet)

1. Put 4-5 frozen (yes, frozen) boneless chicken breasts into crock pot.
2. Add black beans, salsa and corn.
3. Cook on high for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
4. Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 30 minutes.
5. You can serve as individual breasts with a yummy sauce, or you can chop (or shred) the chicken up into little pieces and mix all together to be served as a chowder-type soup. SO GOOD!

Easy Crock Pot Lasagna
1 lb. ground beef (or substitute chicken or ground turkey here for a lower fat version)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste (or substitute the tomato sauce and paste for a 26 oz. jar of Prego)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water
8 oz. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated

1. Brown beef (or other meat) with onion and garlic until onion is softened. Drain off the fat.
2. Stir in jar of Prego OR tomato sauce and tomato paste, salt, and oregano. Also add the water. Mix well.
3. Spread one fourth of the meat sauce in an ungreased slow cooker. Arrange one third of the UNCOOKED noodles over the sauce.
4. Combine the cheeses.
5. Spoon one third of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
6. Repeat layers twice.
7. Top with remaining meat sauce.
8. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours OR on high for 2.5 hours.

Give these a try and let me know what you think! Bon appetit!

10 comments:

Abbigail said...

I am for sure trying the chicken one with low fat ingredients. I don't know if I can do the lasagne in my house with the pasta snob. sounds yummy though! Thanks for posting. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! love ya!

Abbigail said...

PS I love that your favorite movie is dirty dancing. that is too funny!

The Lingwalls said...

They sound really good! I think I might try them...who's kidding, I don't cook!

The Lingwalls said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
caligirl said...

You are amazing! I have been looking for some new things to make for dinner. Thanks!

Byron said...

I'm so glad you posted these sweet recipes! I thought for sure I was wasting my time reading too many blogs tonight, but now I feel justified because I found dinner for this week. Thanks, Becky!

An said...

These recipes sound yummy...I'm looking forward to trying them!

Lisa said...

Wow, she's back! And with yummy, easy recipes - you can't beat that!

.............................. said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had some yummy lunch with everyone and you all thought about how much you miss me! Just kidding, I hope you had a great day!

Thanks for the recipes. I am really excited to try them. I also love my crockpot, I used it last night to make roast and potatoes.

heathermommy said...

Becky, I make that first recipe all the time. It's not too bad with fat free cream cheese (must be Philadelphia brand) but definately not as delicious.

Here's another easy one: 2-3 cans of cream of chicken soup, a block of cream cheese, a packet of italian seasoning, and 4-6 chicken breasts (you can put them in frozen). Cook on low for like 5 hours, stir occasionally. Serve over rice or cous cous or pasta.