Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Birds and the Bees

Today Ashlee asked me how she was once inside my "tummy." She has never asked me HOW before, just "Where does a baby come from?" Well, when she has asked where a baby comes from, it has been easy for me to just explain things in very general terms. The last time she asked, I said,"Well, mommies have little magic eggs inside them and daddies have magic seeds. When mommies and daddies put the magic egg together with a magic seed, it starts to grow into a baby inside the mommy's tummy." For good measure I added, "But, only people who are married are allowed to put the egg and the seed together. If you're not married first, then it makes Heavenly Father unhappy."
She must have been contemplating what I had told her because she wanted to know exactly how the egg and the seed actually get together. When I started tell her my standard answer, she said, "Yeah, I know all that, but HOW do the egg and the seed find each other?" So I took the angle of, "When mommies and daddies love each other very much . . . " But then I realized that this wasn't really answering her question. So I did the responsible thing and told her that I would explain that part when she gets a bit older. My main intent was to divert her attention long enough to change the subject, because then we were talking about WHY she needed to be older to hear HOW babies come to be. I told her that she would be able to understand better at that time. Again, I started to add that ONLY people who are married can make babies. She cut me off mid-sentence and said, "Yes. I already know that part. It's because if you aren't married first, then Heavenly Father gets really mad! But that's not what I want to know. I want to know HOW the egg and the seed get together!"
I said, "Oh! Look at the time! We really need to start getting ready for bed!" This time, the diversion worked.
If any of you have some good ideas on how to talk about this with a 6-year-old, send them my way!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure there are books that can help you out with this, but I myself have got nothing! Not looking forward to this conversation with Keely!

Come to think of it I think my parents used a pop-up book (not everything pops-up) called "The Facts of life." : )

Janie said...

It's kind of funny that you told the whole conversation on your blog. Maybe someday she will read it and laugh!
I really have no advice and my kids have reached that age! Sorry. Good luck!

.............................. said...

I have to admit reading this post totally made Josh and I laugh! I love the magic egg and seed, very creative. Sorry I don't have any good advise. We haven't had to cross that bridge yet.

RicAnn said...

Oh the fun...I'll I can say is I am glad it's not me. Call me and I can let you know what my sister said to her 5 year old. I think that it worked.

Mandy said...

That is so cute, Becky! I was laughing. Not sure how to go about answering that question she has further. I love the magic egg and seed though- going to for sure use it!

Abbigail said...

wow... what a curious little one. Nothing is getting past her! Maybe you can tell her that there is a magic dance that the mommy and daddy do to make the seeds come together! ;)