Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spicy Tomato Soup

I just tried a tomato soup recipe from my South Beach Quick & Easy Cookbook and it was so good (and healthy) that I had to share. This only takes about 20 minutes to make. I made a few adjustments and a substitution, but I thought it was fantastic! It's low in fat and calories (about 90 cal. per 1 cup serving) so you can eat til you're full. Give it a go and tell me what you think!

1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, coursely chopped (I used 3/4 tsp. dried garlic)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (this is what makes it spicy so don't go overboard!)
2 (14.5-oz) cans unsalted diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (I used 1 Tbsp. dried basil)
2 (5.5-ounce) cans low-sodium vegetable juice (I substituted 1 can fat free chicken broth instead)
2-3 tsp. Splenda to taste (optional)

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3 minutes if using garlic cloves and 30 seconds if using the dried. Add tomatoes with juice, basil, and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot and top with shredded mozzerella cheese and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream. The sour cream can be substituted with 1 Tbsp. of plain low-fat yogurt. (I took the sour cream route because I had no yogurt on hand.)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Meg said...

Will try!! I love new recipes.

The Lingwalls said...

Beck, this does sound so good and I'm always looking for healthy recipes! I am totally going to make this.

Mandy said...

Looks good! Wanted to tell you I miss you tons! Hope you are doing well! I miss Ann Arbor and hanging out with all the girls like crazy!

Janie said...

I will try too! This must be your secret to your skinniness!